Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Be My Valentine", signed Jesus



"Be My Valentine", that’s what Jesus says, today and every day.   Never has there been such a relevant example of what true love is all about.  I remember years ago I had a very cynical professor say, “I challenge anyone to define the word love that applies to every circumstance.”  No one, in the class accepted the challenge.  I wish I would have had the wisdom then that, God has granted me today.  Her point being, there are so many different types of love that it is impossible to truly define it in a general way that it is applicable to all circumstances.  This was a disturbing idea to me, because if I can’t define something how can I recognize it.  Just today, I heard my Pastor make a great observation.  He said, “We throw the word “love” around like it is interchangeable with the word, “like”.  In reality, it is not and we shouldn’t do that.”

We have greatly done the word, “love” and all that it encapsulates a great discredit.  You see to love something or someone is not an emotion or great overwhelming feeling, such as a Hollywood movie might suggest.  Rather love is a decision.  It is a rational choice that we make based solely upon our decision.  Christ gave us the ultimate example and definition of love.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish but have everlasting life.”

This verse represents the perfect definition of love.  Here’s what you can take away as the greatest example of love and should anyone ever ask you to define love tell them this, “Love is self fulfillment through self sacrifice by which you gain an appreciation for not from someone or something.”

You see, God is fulfilled when He invested in us through Christ, and therefore he now has a vested interest in us and appreciates us as His creation.  He loves you!  He is fulfilled with or without you but His choice is to be with you.
 
Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

God sent Christ to die, for your sin even while you are still living in sin.  He had and has no guarantee that you will ever accept this sacrifice.  Yet, God said, it’s worth a chance.  In essence God said, “Son, I know there are no guarantees.  In fact you and I both know they are not all going to listen and they are not all going to accept you. But Son, I love you and I know you love them as I do.  So, it’s worth a chance.  Let’s give them a chance at an eternal guarantee.”

Christ said, “Yes”, even though it hurt, even though he knew He would be rejected, even though He prayed for another way, ….He obeyed.  Christ loves you so much!  He doesn’t care about your situation.  Every day is another day that Jesus says, “I Love You!”  The Bible is your Valentine card from Him.  Praise God, His love for us is not dictated by our behavior or circumstances!  Tell Him, you love Him today.

Giving God the Glory,

Bryan K. Taunton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to comment on our blog. All comments are screened for content to prevent ad, scam, or malicious postings.

Become an Advocate

Subscribe to The Basin News Quarterly E-Newsletter

join our mailing list
* indicates required

God's House Band